Breath in. Breath out.
Most likely as you read those words you became aware of your breathing, and yet before that moment your body was automatically inhaling and exhaling. It is vital for life. In fact if you didn’t breathe after 4-6 minutes you would be at risk of brain damage, and after 10 minutes you would lose your life.
Breathing is vital to life.
Martin Luther said of prayer, “to be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing.”
Prayer can be as simple and as regular as breathing. In 1 Thessalonians we are told to “ pray continually” or “pray without ceasing”.
You don’t need to pray long, eloquent prayers full of theological jargon. Just a few words at a time. It may be a moment of praise. A request. A concern. A confession.
Max Lucado rightly observes, “”our prayers may be awkward. Our attempts may be feeble. But since the power of prayer is in the one who hears it and not in the one who says it, our prayers do make a difference.”. So focus on God more than on grammatically correct prayers.
God wants us to pray, and delights to answer our prayer. Paul reminded the church at Phillippi, to “not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
So will you pray today? It is vital for your life.
It is also vital for the life of the church. We need you to pray. Will you pray for Mosaic? Will you let us pray for you?
Please use your communication card or email firstname.lastname@example.org with prayer requests. And please pray for us as a church. Here are a few prayer requests to get you started.
- Pray everyday for our city and for God to do something amazing through Mosaic. Please do this every day. If you sense God saying something to you, write it down and let me know.
- Pray for one another to grow in our faith.
- Pray that we will develop a culture where we more and more invite people to Mosaic.
- Pray that God will lead us into how we can make a major difference in our city.
- Pray for your family, friends, neighbours and co-workers to come to faith.
- Pray that we will see with greater clarity the possibility of what God can do through us, and not get caught up with negativity or unbelief.